When it comes to the issue of abundance, my mind automatically shifts to thoughts of material possessions – money, houses, and cars. This is rather embarrassing because I would want people to believe that I might think of loftier things to accumulate, such as:
- full and rich relationships in my family and friendships
- deeper maturity in my relationship to God
Am I destined for such a shallow life? Not if I heed the challenge from the book of Jude.
Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. (Jude 2 NIV)
How different might my life be if, when questioned about abundance, my automatic thoughts were of mercy, peace and love rather than material possessions? The resulting overflow from my life would look quite different.
- What if mercy was overflowing as I showed unmerited kindness, compassion and forgiveness?
- What if peace was overflowing as I became a peacemaker, rather than a bearer of strife and dissension?
- What if love was overflowing as I demonstrated profound, tender affection toward everyone – friends and enemies?
It will not be easy to change my attitude toward abundance. However, with the Holy Spirit’s help, I can. Will you join me?
Sharing the journey with you,