"Make wise choices this weekend!" are my daughter's words to her high school students each Friday as they leave class. Applying common sense, logic and reason to decisions is a challenge for some teenage minds. Her words also remind me off the importance of wise choices in my life.
As a follower of Jesus I have found that decision making with God's will in mind is not always easy. But as I look around, I realize I am not alone. The Bible is replete with people who made wrong choices:
- Lot's choice of a place to live resulted in terrible consequences for his family (Gen. 13:1-11)
- David chose to follow the lust of his heart resulting in death and family chaos (2 Samuel 13-18)
My bad choices usually arise when I don't:
- Ask God for the wisdom He promises (James 1:5-8 ; Proverbs 2:1-9)
- Ask for godly counsel of others (Proverbs 11:14 ; Proverbs 12:15)
- Commit my choices to God (Psalm 37:5-6 ; James 4:13-15)
Make wise choices… words to the wise not only for high school students but all of us.
Sharing the journey with you,