The opening paragraph in my car’s service history booklet says the following:
Regularly maintaining your vehicle is the best way to protect your investment. Proper maintenance is essential to your safety and the safety of your passengers. It will also reward you with more economical, trouble-free driving, and help to reduce air pollution.
The regular evaluation, troubleshooting and attending to the needs of my car yields much benefit.
Yet I wonder if I am as attentive to the regular evaluation, troubleshooting and attending to the needs of my faith in Jesus. The engine of my faith is my heart. King Solomon says,
Above all else, guard your heart for it is the wellspring of life. (Proverbs 4:23 NIV)
As I have considered my own faith maintenance, I have gone to my faith maintenance manual – the Bible. Here are a few items that help me evaluate and troubleshoot.
- Measuring the tenderness of my heart toward the will of God – Psalm 119:20,131
- Evaluating my level of obedience to God's word – I John 5:3
- Watching and praying – Mark 14:38
- Guarding against unbelief – Hebrews 3:12-14
- Striving against the deceitfulness of sin – Proverbs 4:23-27
Does my heart need a stop at the faith maintenance garage? Will you join me this week in evaluating and troubleshooting our faith engines – our hearts?
Sharing the journey with you,